Liposuction is the go-to procedure for removing fat from the abdomen, buttocks, hips, and thighs. But when patients come to my Scottsdale practice for liposuction, they often ask if this popular treatment can be used on other areas of the body. I’m always pleased to explain that advances in this surgical procedure make it a good solution for removing fat and creating dramatic changes in several areas of the body.
Where Else Can Liposuction Work?
In addition to trimming down the midsection and upper legs, liposuction can help contour these areas of your body:
- Back – Both men and women are often surprised to learn that liposuction can remove pockets of fat and stubborn rolls on the back. Additionally, many women are concerned with fat that bulges out from under their bra, sometimes known as bra fat. Because back skin is thicker and back fat is denser than fat on the abdomen or thighs, it’s important to select a skilled surgeon who understands and has proven experience performing liposuction on these different parts of the body.
- Chin – As we age, fat can accumulate below our chin, called the submental area, creating what is often referred to as a double chin. Liposuction can effectively reduce this bothersome extra fat to create a more defined neck and jawline. To precisely remove the predetermined amount of fat, I use a smaller-size cannula (tube) on the submental area than I uses on the midsection or buttocks.
- Arms – Excess fat on the arms can make clothing feel tight and be aesthetically bothersome for people who want to confidently bare their arms. Liposuction is an excellent way to remove fat in and around the arm area. In fact, in 2017 model and spokesperson Chrissy Teigen admitted to getting liposuction on her armpits, which she explained made her “feel better in dresses.”
- Breasts/chest – Women considering breast reduction often assume they need surgery to remove excess breast tissue. However, liposuction of the breasts can sometimes provide a less-invasive option with highly satisfactory results. Men concerned about feminine looking “breasts” caused by excess fat in this area often undergo liposuction for a more sculpted chest. It’s important to have an honest discussion with your surgeon about what outcome you envision from your breast reduction. With this information, plus an assessment of your overall health and lifestyle, your doctor can determine if breast liposuction is right for you.
Why Consider Liposuction?
Let’s be clear that liposuction is not a replacement for maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise program. However, if you’re near your goal weight and are in good general health, liposuction can be an excellent technique to sculpt your physique. Liposuction can help you:
- Reduce fat deposits that don’t respond to diet or exercise
- Achieve a slimmer look
- Create a more proportional appearance
- Improve your confidence
What About Results and Recovery?
Immediately after liposuction, you will be able to see physical changes in the treated area, but your body will need time to heal to reveal complete results. Most patients require at least a week to recover and usually remain off work during this time. You will likely wear compression garments for the first week, after which you’ll return to our office to have your sutures removed. Swelling may continue beyond this time, but by carefully following your doctor’s post-op instructions, you’ll help your body recover and will soon be ready to share your new look.
Knowing If Liposuction Is Right for You
The best way to know if liposuction is the best option for achieving your aesthetic goals is to do some research on the procedure and then have an honest discussion with your surgeon. In my practice, I know that every patient’s motives and goals are unique, so want to clearly understand each patient’s concerns so I can determine if liposuction or another option is the best way to proceed.
To get an idea how liposuction might work for you, visit our photo gallery to see real liposuction patients’ before-and-after photos. If you want to learn more about the procedure or discuss your body contouring options, request a consultation online or give us a call at (480) 423-1973.