Breast Implant Options
The decision to enhance your breasts through cosmetic surgery is just the first step in a highly personal process that involves several choices. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Josh Olson can listen to your goals and preferences during a consultation and can help you understand the options you have for breast implants at his practice in Paradise Valley and Gilbert, AZ.
Allow Dr. Olson to assist you in choosing the size, shape, and material of your breast implants. Women from Chandler, Mesa, and Tempe, AZ and throughout the East Valley may request a consultation online with Dr. Olson, or call our cosmetic surgery office in Paradise Valley at (480) 423-1973 or in Gilbert at (480) 466-7355.
Breast Augmentation Before & After Photos
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
WARNING: This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
500cc High Profile Round Silicone ImplantsView Case
440 High Profile Sientra Round SiliconeView Case
This 34 year-old female met with me for consultation for a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. She has two children and was hoping to regain her breast fullness and lose some of the excess skin and fat on her abdomen. I recommended silicone implants for the more natural feel of the implant. She did ...View Case
This 22 year-old patient from Ohio came to see Dr. Olson for consultation for a breast augmentation. She had a 80 pound weight loss and was unhappy with the loss of breast shape and volume. She wore an A-cup bra and was hoping for a C-cup.Dr. Olson recommended a breast lift along with a breast augme...View Case
350cc Anatomic Textured Silicone ImplantsView Case
Right 450cc High profile round silicone
Left 400cc High profile round siliconeView Case
This 29 year old female from Scottsdale, Arizona presented to Advanced Plastic Surgery Institute in Gilbert for consultation regarding breast augmentation surgery. She has 4 children and was unhappy with the decrease in her breast size after pregnancy. She was hoping for larger breasts and a size th...View Case
This 27 year-old woman from Gilbert, AZ presented to us for consultation regarding breast enhancement surgery. She is very active in the gym and felt her breasts weren't proportional with the rest of her body. I met with her to discuss her goals and after examining her recommended a breast augme...View Case
This 31 year-old woman from Gilbert, AZ presented to us for consultation regarding breast augmentation surgery near Scottsdale, AZ. She has several children and was hoping to regain some of her lost breast volume after breast feeding.After performing an examination and discussing her goals Dr. Olson...View Case
This 35 year-old woman from Surprise, AZ presented for consultation regarding a mommy makeover procedure in our Gilbert office near Scottsdale, AZ. I met with her and after listening to her goals recommended a full abdominoplasty and liposuction to her waist in addition to silicone breast augmentati...View Case
This 22 year-old woman from Mesa, AZ visited our office near Scottsdale, AZ for consultation regarding breast augmentation surgery. She was looking for a natural yet full look to improve her overall body proportion. After performing an examination Dr. Olson recommended Mentor's new moderate plus...View Case
This 20 year-old female from Scottsdale, AZ visited our Gilbert office for consultation with Dr. Olson regarding breast augmentation surgery. After discussing her goals and performing an examination Dr. Olson recommended high profile round silicone implants. Smooth round silicone implants were ...View Case
Many of Dr. Olson's patients interested in breast augmentation have carefully considered the size of breast implants they want before meeting with him. That is an important decision, but it is only one of several choices patients need to make. Other factors include filler material, shape, and texture. Implants also come in different profiles, which is essentially a measure of how far they project from the body.
Dr. Olson can talk you through each one of these issues, also important considerations for breast reconstruction patients. Each choice should be influenced by physical characteristics, including your body's frame, your skin elasticity, and the amount of breast tissue you have. Review the sections below for more information about each of your options.
Because each patient's physical characteristics are unique, the results of your breast augmentation may look different than that of another patient with the same sized implants. The ideal breast implant size for you depends on a number of factors, including your cosmetic goals, the width of your chest and shoulders, and your lifestyle. If you're a runner, for example, you'll want to consider how larger breasts may affect that activity.
It's also important to remember that breast implants are measured in cubic centimeters (cc), not bra size. That's because bra sizes aren't standardized from one brand to another. Dr. Olson can use his trained aesthetic eye to help you choose what size will best meet your cosmetic goals, but the ultimate decision is yours. He encourages patients to review his photo gallery to get an idea of the results they can expect from different sizes of implants.
Although there are 2 main materials for breast implants — saline and silicone gel — there is really a third choice. That is the highly cohesive silicone gel implants often referred to as "gummy bear" implants because their soft but stable consistency resembles that of the gummy bear candies. Dr. Olson offers all 3 varieties:
- Saline: These implants contain a sterile saltwater solution that is biocompatible and biodegradable. Saline implants are a suitable option for women with enough existing breast tissue to camouflage the edges of the implants. Saline implants generally require smaller incisions because they are filled after being inserted, unlike silicone implants. That also allows Dr. Olson to fine-tune the amount of the saline solution in each implant during surgery, letting him address issues such as breast asymmetry.
- Silicone gel: Patients overall tend to think silicone gel implants look and feel more natural than saline implants. There are numerous size and shape options available in silicone implants, which are the most popular implants in the U.S. Silicone implants require a slightly larger incision than needed for saline implants, but Dr. Olson is able make the incisions very inconspicuous.
- Highly cohesive silicone gel: Gummy bear, or form-stable implants, are a subcategory of silicone implants. They are firm but pliable, and they hold their shape even when cut. These implants often require a slightly larger incision to fit the implant but can create a pleasant natural shape to the breast.
Complete the Look
Enhancing a single aspect of your appearance can inspire you to address other areas you wish to improve. Ask Dr. Olson about combining your treatment for a more complete and stunning transformation.
Breast implants can be either round or anatomically shaped, resembling a teardrop. Both saline and silicone implants come in either shape.
Round: Round implants are usually preferable for those who want more "upper pole fullness." This means there is more volume at the top of the breast, leading to more cleavage.
Shaped: Anatomical implants have a sloping, teardrop shape with more volume at the bottom. Many patients believe shaped implants better mimic the appearance of a natural breast for subtler enhancement.
Implant Shell Texture
The exterior shell of breast implants is either smooth or textured.
- Smooth: Breast implants with smooth shells move easily and naturally within the breast. Smooth, round implants that rotate inside the breast don't pose an aesthetic problem. A shaped implant that shifts, however, may appear unnatural and need to be corrected with implant revision surgery.
- Textured: Textured implants attach to the natural breast tissue and remain in place within the breast. That's why most anatomically shaped implants come with a textured exterior. There is also research that suggests textured implants reduce the hardening of scar tissue that occasionally follows breast augmentation, known as capsular contracture.
Breast implants come in various profiles, which refers to the implant's height versus the width of its base. There are a few variations, but most implants are available in profiles including low, moderate, moderate plus, and high. Chest width is a big determining factor for finding the right profile for a certain patient. Dr. Olson will examine your chest and help you choose the profile that best suits your frame and your cosmetic goals.
Please visit our Breast Augmentation FAQ page for answers to other common questions about breast enhancement surgery.